We tailor each trip itinerary to the overall interests of the group, which means that the final itinerary received after booking may be altered slightly. After your deposits are received, we will be getting in touch with you to find out more about the type of trip you are seeking and whether itinerary changes are necessary.
Welcome to Havana.
• Arrive to Jose Marti International Airport and transfer to our casa particular, which will be hosted by a Cuban family in a central and non-touristy neighbourhood of Havana.
• Your tour leader will introduce the group and share all the fun details of the cultural experience over Cuban cocktails and a Comuna family meal.
Meals included: Welcome Dinner and Cocktail
Embrace that Cuban beat in your soul.
• Wake up rested and ready to explore Havana.
• Indulge in a group lunch at one of our favourite paladares (independent in-home restaurants) in Old Havana.
• Be introduced to the beat that every Cubano moves to by learning to dance Cuban salsa & rumba at the private studio of a professional dance choreographer.
• Dance the night away at an open air salsa club, overlooking the water.
Meals included: Breakfast, Lunch & Cocktail
Discover the roots of Afro-Cuban culture.
• Ride in classic cars to the quaint township of Guanabacoa just outside of Havana and be welcomed into the home of a Babalawo.
• Spend the morning and afternoon learning about Afro-Cuban culture and how colonial history influenced it's development into present day.
• Free night to enjoy Havana's captivating urban fabric.
Meals Included: Breakfast & Lunch
Experience the drive of young Cubanos and the contemporary vibe of Havana.
• Become inspired by the work of a social impact organization creating sustainable access to skateboarding and development for Cuban youth.
• Visit our favourite art collective and meet a community of budding young artists.
• Indulge in contemporary Cuban fare at a hip restaurant in an old factory.
• Spend the night at the country's leading cultural arts centre - where art, design and music come together under one (amazing) roof.
Meals Included: Breakfast & Cocktail
Road trip to tobacco country.
• Take a 3-hour roadtrip to the Viñales Valley in Pinar del Río Province.
• Tour an independent tobacco plantation in the Viñales Valley with a local guide who grew up here.
• Learn how tobacco is cultivated and support independent farmers by purchasing locally crafted cigars and coffee to bring home with you.
• Savour an organic creole Cuban lunch with a local family.
• Return to Havana in the evening for a free night to relax or explore more.
Meals Included: Lunch & Refreshments
Buenas dias Trinidad.
• We will roadtrip 4 hours east of Havana to the colonial town of Trinidad in the Sierra del Escambray.
• Get settled into our cute colonial casa particulares hosted by local families.
• Indulge in traditional creole flavours on a rooftop as the sun sets over the surrounding mountains.
Meals Included: Breakfast
Visit a family-run coffee and tobacco plantation in the mountains.
• Wake up early and ride into the Escambray Mountains to visit a family farm and learn how they cultivate coffee and tobacco.
• Share in a special farm to table creole lunch.
• Return back to Trinidad in the evening to take in the vibrant local nightlife
Meals Included: Breakfast & Lunch
Relax beachside between the mountains and the Caribbean.
• Spend the day unwinding from the week of activities at a stunning beach sipping on coconut rum cocktails.
• Return back to Trinidad in the afternoon to discover hidden cafes, chat with local entrepreneurs, and take in local music.
• Dance the night away with the locals.
Meals Included: Breakfast
One last night in Havana.
• Return to Havana in the morning for our last night in Cuba.
• Enjoy one last Comuna family dinner together before we have to say our goodbyes and pack up in the morning.
Meals Included: Breakfast & Dinner
Bid farewell to your Comuna family.
• Morning transfers to Jose Marti International Airport.
Ready to join the Comuna experience in Cuba? Choose from one of the dates below.
Do you have some questions? Please contact us!
The Fine Print
Getting There: Book your roundtrip international flight to José Marti International Airport (HAV). Once you land in Havana and make it through customs, we will pick you up and take care of all ground transportation and internal transfers for the duration of your trip.
What is Included:
- Accommodation the duration of the itinerary
- Transportation to and from the airport
- In-country transportation for all activities in the itinerary
(public transport, shared taxis)
- Welcome Package
- Meals as noted in itinerary
- Alcohol as noted in itinerary
- Activities as noted in itinerary
- Reservations at top restaurants
- Trip leader & 24/7 concierge service:
Our founder will accompany the group during the entire trip, offering her in-depth knowledge of the country, while making sure everything runs smoothly. In addition, we are available to answer questions and assist with all pre-departure trip preparations beforehand.
What is Not Included:
- Airfare in and out of the country:
We have found that roundtrip flights from most major Canadian cities range from $450-$700 depending on departure city. Departure from American cities tend be less. We are happy to help you with finding flights.
- Mandatory travel insurance
- Visa, if applicable to your passport
- Mandatory medical insurance
- Incidental expenses
- Meals and alcohol, except where noted
- Tips for local hosts, restaurant workers, and drivers.
Details on Accommodations: We will be staying in beautiful casa particulares (homestays), which are similar to bed and breakfasts. Your stay will be attended by an experienced local host that has been vetted by Comuna and meets our high standards of customer service, security and hospitality.
All Comuna trips include double occupancy rooms. If you book with someone else, you will be paired up with that person, just let us know at booking time if you book separately and would like to be roomed together. Otherwise, you will be assigned a roommate of the same gender for the duration of your trip and we will put you and your roommate in contact before the trip! All of our small group trips are designed so that you feel comfortable engaging with other like-minded travellers and making new friends. If you absolutely would like to have your own private room within the same casa, this service will be subject to any additional fees and availability. Further details regarding accommodation will be shared with you in a full trip package that will include your detailed itinerary, and will be delivered electronically after booking and well before departure.
Medical Insurance: Cuban authorities require proof of health insurance upon entering the country. Save a printed copy of your policy ready to show upon arrival before clearing immigration. If you don't have proof of health coverage upon arriving, you will be required to purchase Cuban medical insurance for the duration of your trip.
What to expect in Cuba: We do our very best to stick to the itinerary, however, traveling in Cuba requires a certain level of flexibility and openness to spontaneity. Changes to accommodation, transportation, and activities may occur. It is important to keep in mind that Cuban infrastructure has not been maintained according to western standards. Therefore, hot water may become minimal, water pressure may not be what you are used to, electricity blackouts may occur, and the wifi connection is only available in public hotspots scattered throughout major cities. The general pace is slow but invigorating, so expect to be completely disconnected for the duration of your trip. Our philosophy on travel is to let go of your comforts and embrace the moment, and we expect you to do just that in order to make the most of your trip to Cuba with us.
Trip Documentation: Your trip may include a photographer or videographer who will be part of the group to document the experience. They are not available as a personal photographer, unless an arrangement is agreed upon between you, your group leader and the photographer to pay an additional fee to book their time during a period of the trip that includes free time. You will have access to the final images and content that include you after the end of the trip, and can be used for personal use only such as sharing to social media or with friends and family. Please see details in the "Media Release" section of our "Booking Terms and Conditions" page.
Pricing: The price for our 9 day immersive journey across Cuba is $2000 CAD + GST during early sign up, and increases to $2200 CAD + GST after the early sign up period ends (45 days prior to departure).
A 40% initial non-refundable deposit per person is required to reserve your spot and is included in this total price. Final payment is due no later than 30 days prior to departure. All payments must be made by credit card.